Brussels, 20.12.2017 COM(2017) 830 final. This document states clearly that during any transitional period, the UK will have to abide by all the laws of the EU, including new laws implemented during the transition period. They also infer that the rules stipulated in the transition period will be implemented in the final agreement, or, in other words, a Norway style final agreement with the EU.
II. TRANSITIONAL ARRANGEMENTS
9. The European Council guidelines of 29 April 2017 set out general core principles applying to any agreement with the United Kingdom as well as to any transitional arrangements:
– any agreement will have to be based on a balance of rights and obligations, and ensure a level playing field;
– preserving the integrity of the Single Market excludes participation based on a sector-by-sector approach;
– a non-member of the Union, that does not live up to the same obligations as a member, cannot have the same rights and enjoy the same benefits as a member;
– the four freedoms of the Single Market are indivisible and there can be no “cherry picking”;
– the Union will preserve its autonomy as regards its decision-making as well as the role of the Court of Justice of the European Union. According to the European Council guidelines of 15 December 2017, this refers notably to the competence of the Court of Justice of the European Union.
I really can’t see why the UK would want to place itself in a straitjacket for two years, when it should be negotiating (and signing) trade deals with countries outside the EU. From March 29th 2019, the UK should take control of its borders and implement a points based immigration system. We should take full control of our fishing grounds. The ECJ should have no jurisdiction whatsoever and we should certainly not be paying £10 billion a year to “free trade” with the EU when implementing WTO tariffs will cost around £5 billion a year.
I’m am totally sick and tired of the UK Government implementing “austerity” measures which do NOTHING to reduce the National Debt while at the same time considering a deal which will waste £5 billion a year and continue to allow uncontrolled mass immigration.
Stop the Transition. Write to your MP today!